Thursday, November 03, 2005

Romjaner oi Rojar Sheshe

It's Eid again here in UK - my sixth Eid-Ul-Fitr in UK since I came to this country. It's as usual boring and rainy. I have just finished my Eid prayer in Shahjalal Mosque ( a Sylheti Mosque - ofcourse !) and got back home to listen to this brilliant song - 'Romjaner oi Rojar Sheshe' . I don'y know why but this song gives the special aura of Eid and takes me back to my childhood- absolute magic !

UK claims to be a secular country but they hardly mention any other religious festival apart from Christmas. That seems very strange to me. There is no mention of Eid in the media - TV, Newspapers or anywhere else. I have just checked the BBC website and it mentions nothing and nothing at all about Eid. Checked the South Asia section and there's a report about a sombre Deepwali in Delhi. Hello ! Excuse me but we are having our Eid here - remember ? Anybody interested ??

3 Comments:

Blogger Rezwan said...

Yeah back in Desh people just yearn for the song 'Romjaner oi Rojar Sheshe' in the evening before eid day, hoping that the govt. declares Eid tomorrow after sighting of moon. And the moment you hear a bit of the song in the neighborhood, you know that moon is sighted. It has become a trademark song for Eidul Fitr.

Wishing you happy Eid to you and your family.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Faylasuf said...

Thank you Rezwan. Wishing you a very happy Eid as well. I hope you come back bloggoing after Eid fatter and better !

Eid Mubarak to you and your family.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous site said...

Pretty worthwhile info, thank you for the article.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home