Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Bangladeshis in Harry Potter Film

Harry Potter's new film is the latest to join the Hollywood trend of casting actors from South Asia. In the forthcoming film - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - two Asian actresses will get to share the screen space with Harry Potter, currently the heartthrob of millions of children.

The girls - Shefali Chowdhury and Afshan Azad are second-generation Bangladeshis currently based in London. They play the characters of the 'Patil twins' in the film slated for a worldwide release this November.

Shefali and Afshan who play Harry and his best friend Ron's dates for the Yule Ball say they are "overwhelmed" to be a part of this huge film.

"I can't describe what I feel right now when I await the release of the film. I feel very very privileged. It's an opportunity of a lifetime," Shefali said from London.

This 17-year-old who is pursuing her A-level in college and has Sociology and Religious studies as her subjects says she's glad she did what interests her "the most".

"I was always interested in Drama and even took it as a course earlier. So when this opportunity of acting in a film came my way, I was only too ready to take it," she says.


It was different for 16-year-old Afshan - also an A-level student learning Chemistry, Biology, English and media language in her college - who auditioned for the role for pure kicks.

"It was a total joke for me. The casting agents came to my school and my friends and I did it for fun. But I became very serious about the entire thing once I got in."





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go girls ... gr8 job .. Its time that we Bangladesghis leave our mark on the world.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Manzur's Lonely Planet said...

bravo Bangladeshi girls ... hats off ...

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol. the character patil twins is marati an Indian name. lol. thanks for hiding that info.

Vivek

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Cheap Car Blog said...

Most of the Bangladeshis loves Harry Potter Film with my young sister.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home